Nelson Figueroa knows about bush league baseball. After all, he's toured the world trying to resurrect his major league career.
But not until Monday night did Figueroa witness a truly amateurish display, the Mets pitcher suggested. Incensed at the chants emanating from the Washington dugout during the Mets' 10-4 loss Monday night at Shea, Figueroa ripped the Nationals afterward.
"They were cheerleading in the dugout like a bunch of softball girls," Figueroa said. "I'm a professional, just like anybody else. I take huge offense to that. If that's what a last-place team needs to do to fire themselves up, so be it. I think you need to show a little bit more class, a little bit more professionalism. They won tonight, but again, in the long run, they are who they are."
I'm not sure what a girls softball team would sound like, but judging from his line last night (5.0 IP 5H 6R 5 BB 2HBP 9.00 ERA 2.40 WHIP), he probably heard some of this from the Nats dugout:
- Figgy, you throw like a girl.
- Your mother wears army boots!
- Figs, you're turning into Mackey Sasser tonight.
- We want a pitcher, not a belly itcher.
- You just walked a guy twice with a career OBP of .333
- Maybe the FBI could help you find the plate.
- Fuck off, you fucking fuck!
- How's your wife and my kids?
- You know, you're not pitching very well at all tonight, sir.
- Figs, I've seen better arms on a snake.
- What's that on the mound? Is that a human, or a 6'1" pair of eyebrows?
- Figs, you're getting smoked like you're some weed at a Phish show.
EDIT: How did I miss that you got demoted, Figgie? Have fun in New Orleans, sissy.